The Bailey Firm
Civil Rights Violations
  1. Home
  2.  » Civil Rights Violations

Protecting Your Civil Rights

The Black Lives Matter movement has brought the issue of police brutality to the forefront of our nation. Sadly, cases of police brutality still happen, even though they are abuses of civil rights. Use of excessive force leads to humiliation, injuries and even death. I am Mark-Anthony Bailey, and as an attorney serving Newark, New Brunswick and beyond, I stand up for clients’ civil rights and demand justice when civil rights are denied.

How To Handle A Police Stop

New Jersey does not have a stop and identify law, but what should you do if an officer asks your name? The New Jersey chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) states that unless police officers want to give you a court summons, they cannot demand that you tell them your name. This does not mean that the police will refrain from asking your name. You should:

  • Keep your hands where police can see them.
  • Ask “Am I free to leave?” If so, you can leave the area.
  • Above all, remain calm when police stop you.
  • Do not resist arrest.

A good tip if you get arrested is to write down an account of the situation as soon as possible and have your lawyer’s phone number memorized. You do not need to respond to questioning or sign anything before you talk to your lawyer.

Basics To Know About Civil Rights

New Jersey’s Law Against Discrimination (LAD) protects citizens against discrimination in the areas of:

  • Employment
  • Housing
  • Public accommodations
  • Business matters

To be a violation of civil rights, one or more of these factors must be the reason for the discrimination:

  • Race and ethnicity
  • Sexual preference
  • Religion
  • Gender
  • Age
  • Physical or mental ability

Reach Me Today

A violation of protected rights, such as police misconduct, may be grounds for a civil rights lawsuit. If you feel that you have suffered a violation of your civil rights, contact me at my practice, The Bailey Firm, at 973-854-9478 or use this online form.