If you’re charged with driving under the influence of alcohol in New Jersey, it won’t be long before your day in court arrives. As nervous as you may be, it’s important to keep one thing in mind: a DUI charge doesn’t always result in a conviction.
The best way to avoid a conviction is to implement the right DUI defense strategy. Fortunately, there are several of these to consider:
- Improper stop: Police must have probable cause for stopping your vehicle. If you can prove that the officer didn’t have cause, you’re in better position to win your case.
- Inaccurate field sobriety test: Just because an officer administers a field sobriety test doesn’t mean they’ll do so in an accurate manner. For example, the officer may neglect to explain the test, which results in your failure.
- Inaccurate Breathalyzer test: Often used by police to determine your blood alcohol level, a Breathalyzer test is not always 100 percent accurate. If the officer doesn’t know how to use the equipment, it could result in a false reading. The same holds true if the equipment hasn’t been properly maintained.
- Rising blood alcohol level: A good portion of time may elapse before being pulled over and the administration of a breath test. During this time, your blood alcohol level can rise. This may allow you to argue that your blood alcohol level was under the legal limit at the time you were driving.
- Evidence tampering: This is typically associated with questions about the handling of blood or urine testing. Any type of mishandling can result in an inaccurate reading.
It’s easy to feel down and out if you’re facing DUI charges. You may even assume there’s no way to avoid the consequences, such as a fine and license suspension. However, once you learn more about the many types of DUI defense strategies, you’ll have more confidence.
Even though you’re in a difficult spot, don’t overlook the steps you can take to protect your legal rights. The right approach may be all you need to prevent a punishment that can alter your life in many ways.
Visit our website and read our past blog posts for more information on all things related to DUI charges.